One of my favourite things in the world to do is write lists. I'm feeling the need to crack one out to round up 2013.
Some lessons from this year.
- Trust my instincts. Always. That little niggle in the back of my head or the pit of my stomach - never ever doubt it. No seriously, stop doubting yourself Arleo, you know this shit.
- Stop talking to myself in the third person, it makes me look either pretentious or insane.
- Go with the flow. I can't control everything. Sometimes I can control absolutely nothing. Ride the wave and stop whinging about it (easier said than done).
- Keep my eyes open to the good. If I focus on the bad then that is all I am looking for and I miss all the great stuff around me.
- Being a hermit isn't good for my emotional health.
- I can be fat and beautiful.
- How other people see me shouldn't effect how I see myself. I know myself better than anyone else.
- I can rock a frock like a mo fo.
- I can't please everyone nor should I expect to. Some people just like the feeling of hate, I can't change their behaviour but I can change the way I react.
- People will help if I ask them. This one is a work in progress. Asking for help still feels weird.
- My kids won't die if I take time out for myself and Andre.
- I am enough.
2014 will give me another set of lessons. I'll strive to do things better, to improve myself. Sometimes it'll sink in, other times I will struggle, but I will make progress. I will be stronger and I will be wiser than I am today.
I wish you all a year full of wonderful lessons and laughter that makes you gasp for air and hurts your cheeks.
Happy New Year.